Monday, March 29, 2004

I took some pictures last night from Michigan Beach in St. Catharines. The time was shortly after sunset, about 7:30 p.m.

First up is the moon, Saturn below it, and Venus at the extreme right.
Next is Venus at the top left, and Mercury, a fuzzy dot to the left of lower part of the recently restored lighthouse.
And finally, a picture of the moon, taken through my 85mm refractor.

I also did a little observing later. The transparency was good but the seeing was not. I thought I set up too close to my house, but it wasn't that. Although the ground level air was still, up high there was some real churning going on. I had a look at Jupiter, Saturn, the Moon, M42, M43, and many of the double stars in Orion's waist and legs. Also split some doubles, gamma Leonis and Mizar and Alcor.