Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Poor little humminbird


A rare Californian Anna's hummingbird has been sighted in Quebec at a backyard feeder. Now it's disappeared.

I have to agree with Mr. Lessard, who thinks it's probably an undersized, frozen hockey puck now.


However, ornithologist Sylvain Lessard says the truth is probably much colder.


"I think it probably froze Thursday or Friday during another storm," said Mr. Lessard, who teaches at the Duchesnay forestry school north of Quebec City.


"To me, she's probably dead. They're just not used to temperatures like that. We'll wait a few more days, though. We're all hoping."

What none of the stories I've read has mentioned so far, is that we only get ruby-throated hummingbirds in this part of the continent, and having an unusual visitor like this way, way, out of season (she should be in Mexico now), is the real excitement. I took the picture above at my cottage feeder.